Friday, February 27, 2009

10% HERE I COME SOLO CHALLENGE - Day 1 Report

Yesterday was day one of my solo challenge and I KICKED ASS!

* I stuck with the fat smash diet phase 1 plan, and also journaled all my food - I earned a total of 4 activity points and saved a total of 10 points!

* I drank all my water.

* Took my multivitamin.

* I walked way over my limit, I walked 10,704 steps which equals to 4.39 miles and 2 activity points.

* Aside from the walking, I also did 30 minutes of exercise - trampoline jumping. It was sort of fun, but gets boring fast. I just ordered a rebounding video from ebay, so hopefully I'll be getting more use out of my trampoline.

Here are my current goals, I'm posting this as more of a reminder for myself.
CURRENT WEIGHT: 186.6
GOAL WEIGHT: 177.2

Here are basics for Phase 1: Detox from The Fat Smash Diet:

PHASE 1: Detox
Duration: 9 days
Meals: 4-5 daily along with nightly snack
Exercise: 30 minutes a week five days a week of cardiovascular exercise (any five days you choose)


·Do not skip meals
·Nightly snacks must be small/light
·Food can ONLY be eaten raw, grilled, or steamed.
·You’re allowed 3 tablespoons of low-fat dressing on your salads.
·If you’re grilling your veggies, use a minimal amount of virgin olive oil (one or two teaspoons)

SAMPLE SCHEDULE:
8am... Meal #1
11am... Meal #2 (heavy snack)
2pm... Meal #3
5pm... Meal #4 (light snack)
7pm... Meal #5
8pm... Light Snack

TIPS:
·Snack ideas: Frozen seedless grapes, frozen banana
·Eat foods high in fiber.
·Never eat within a hour and a half before going to bed.
·Try to go for a 20-25 minute walk after dinner

FOOD/DRINKS ALLOWED
·All fruits in any quantity
·All vegetables in any quantity, EXCEPT: NO WHITE POTATOS, NO AVOCADOS
·Good Protein: chickpeas, bean, tofu, lentils
·Brown rice 2 cups of cooked rice per day
·2 cups of low-fat or skim or soy milk per day
·As much water as you like, minimal 8 cups
·Oatmeal 1 cup per day
·All herbs and spices
·6 oz. Low-fat yogurt (2 times per day)
·4 egg whites per day
·2 cups of herbal tea per day

FOOD/DRINKS NOT ALLOWED:
·White rice
·Meat
·Fish
·Cheese
·Bread all types
·Raisins
·Nuts
·Dried and preserved fruits
·Candy/popcorn/chips
·Ice cream
·Alcohol
·Juice
·Soda regular or diet
·Coffee and all coffee drinks
·Sports drinks
·Milkshakes
·Whole eggs or yolks
·Fast food
·Fried food

Cardio Fat Burning:
Work out with your heart rate in the fat-burning zone: 50-70% of maximum heart rate. Subtract your age from 220 to find your maximum heart rate. Then multiply that number by .50 – this will give you the minimum heart rate you should maintain while performing your physical activity. Then take your maximum heart you should maintain while performing your physical activity. Then take your maximum heart rate and multiply it by .70 – this is the upper range for maximal fat burning.

Example: (40-year-old person)
220 - 40 = 180 (maximum heart rate)
180 x .50 = 90 (lower limit or minimal fat-burning range)
180 x .70 = 126 (upper limit of maximal fat – burning range)

Range during exercise for maximal fat burning: 90-126 beats per minute

NOTE: THOSE WHO ARE BETTER CONDITIONED SHOULD WORK WITHIN THE RANGE OF 60-75% OF MAXIMUM HEART RATE.

The only thing I'm changing is making my water limit 6 glasses per day instead of 8. It's challenging enough to get 6, and also Weight Watchers only requires 6.

I'm happy I got through day one. It was definitely a challenge. It was a bit of an emotional day, and also very busy. While taking my mother to pick up her prescriptions she offered Vi and I a tamale... MY FAVORITE. I could of had one and still be within points but I don't think Tamales are included in the fat smash diet... meat, corn, fat, etc. The guy selling the tamales also had atole... my other Mexican comfort foods... it's a drink made of corn meal, I had to decline. Of course my mother was insistent that I get at least one of his goodies. I had to be aggressive and decline strongly. Then she wanted to argue with me while flaunting the goods in my face why those foods aren't so bad... no support.

I walked around trying not to get annoyed while both my mother and my daughter ate tamales (my mother making mmmmmm moaning sounds with every bite) and atole. It was very challenging not breaking down and taking a bite when offered.

It was very tempting but I'm not losing any weight. I need to give this challenge a chance by sticking to it - or else I won't ever lose this weight. I'm tired of being overweight, I'm tired of having to cover my fat during the summers. I'm not going to be young forever so I need to enjoy this time and my body now that it's still all in tact... lol. I laugh, but I'm serious.

So far today I'm doing okay. Oatmeal for breakfast, a bowl of beans for lunch, no snacks so far. I haven't had any water yet, I've better get started.

I'll exercise tonight... my rebounding video just arrived in the mail today. I'm excited to get home and try it.

I don't know what I'm having for dinner yet, probably more beans. I have some red potatoes I think are okay it just says no white potatoes... are the red skinned ones considered white potatoes? I wouldn't mind some yams with a little milk and Splenda sprinkled on top. I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I think I've better just stay away from the red potatoes too... maybe. I'm not sure.

NOTE: I JUST YAHOOED IT... I FOUND THIS LINK - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090201215948AA73n8c IT SAYS BLUE AND RED POTATOS ARE THE SAME AS WHITE POTATOES.

Maybe I'll make some brown rice, I have brown rice at home.

Walking wise, I'm doing okay... I'm a ways off reaching my 5000 steps right now. So far I've 2520... so I'm half way there. This evening Vi and I are going to an open house for a school she's auditioning for - for next year, so I'm hoping they'll give us a tour of the whole school so I'll get some walking in, in not I'll have to finish it up tonight when I get home.

I wish you all a wonderful losing weekend. I know I've been promising a video for the longest, things have been crazy about Divaville... but maybe, just maybe this weekend I'll be able to get something together for you'll...

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Di said...

White potatoes are any potato that is not a sweet potato or yam. This includes red potatoes, russets, Yukon gold, blue potatoes, fingerling potatoes,new potatoes and baking potatoes.

Hold strong ! You can do this !

Rosie said...

Thank you for this info... thank goodness I'm not a potato lover.

Also thank you for the encouragement.