Makes 4 servings
POINTS value | 5 per appleHere's a Plan-friendly fall dessert that you can make ahead by letting the apples cool to room temperature.
- 4 medium baking apples, such as Rome, Cortland or McIntosh
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 10 pitted prunes, finely chopped (5 ounces)
- 4 Tbsp walnut pieces, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Use a melon baller to core the apples; you want to remove the core and seeds, leaving enough room for the stuffing. Start at the top by the stem and scoop down into the flesh, pulling up the core and hollowing out the apple without breaking through the sides or the bottom. Leave at least 1/2 inch apple flesh at the bottom. Rub the lemon juice over the exposed apple flesh.
- Mix the prunes, walnuts, honey and cinnamon in a small bowl; stuff a quarter of the mixture into each apple. Set apples in a 9-inch baking dish or other small roasting pan. In a small bowl, whisk together water and orange juice, and pour over the apples.
- Bake until soft, basting often with the pan juices, about 1 hour. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Store them covered for up to four hours or refrigerate for up to two days. Reheat the apples in a microwave on high for about 25 seconds.