|POINTS® Value: 4 |
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
|What could be better than sweet, bubbling fruit nestled under tender, flaky sour cream biscuits? Our version of this traditional comfort food is a delicious and low-fat alternative!|
|16 oz unsweetened frozen strawberries, thawed for 15 minutes|
|14 oz frozen rhubarb, or fresh, cut into 1-inch pieces, thawed for 15 minutes if frozen|
| ||1/3 cup(s) sugar|
| ||1 Tbsp cornstarch|
| ||1 1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour|
| ||3 Tbsp sugar, divided|
| ||3/4 tsp baking powder|
| ||1/4 tsp baking soda|
| ||4 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, cut into small pieces|
|1/2 cup(s) fat-free sour cream|
|1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk|
|1 large egg(s), lightly beaten|
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and cornstarch. Mix well and spoon mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- To prepare dough, in a large bowl or food processor, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add margarine and mix with your fingers or process in the food processor until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add sour cream and milk and mix until dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 5 times, until blended.
- Divide dough into 16 equal pieces and roll each piece into a small ball. Place balls on top of strawberry-rhubarb mixture and gently press down to flatten. Brush the surface of dough with egg and sprinkle remaining sugar over top.
- Bake until filling is bubbly and top is golden brown, 45 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving. Yields about 1/2 cup fruit mixture and 2 biscuits per serving.