Preparation Time: 14 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
| ||1/8 tsp table salt, for cooking pasta|
| ||2 cup(s) basil, fresh, leaves|
| ||6 Tbsp water|
| ||3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, such a Parmigiano-Reggiano|
| ||2 Tbsp chopped walnuts|
| ||4 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin, divided|
| ||3 large garlic clove(s), 2 left whole and 1 minced|
|1 1/2 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated|
| ||1/4 tsp table salt|
| ||8 oz uncooked pasta, farfalle (bowtie) recommended|
|8 oz shrimp, about 8 extra-large, peeled, deveined and cut in half lengthwise*|
|1 cup(s) grape tomatoes, cut in half|
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, process basil, water, cheese, walnuts, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 whole garlic cloves, zest and salt until finely minced; set aside.
- When water comes to a boil, add pasta and cook as package directs until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- A few minutes before pasta will be done, heat remaining teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and minced garlic; sauté until shrimp is just cooked through and tomatoes begin to soften, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain pasta; add to skillet with shrimp mixture. Off heat, add pesto and toss to coat. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
*Or use 1/2 pound of large or medium shrimp, left whole.
For a decadent creamy pesto, reserve 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water before draining the pasta. When you toss the pasta with the shrimp in the skillet, add the reserved water and 2 tablespoons of reduced-fat cream cheese (could affect POINTS values).