|POINTS® Value: 6 |
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 9 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
|Cheese, fruit and nuts are a classic trio. Here they team up — along with bacon — for a superb main course salad.|
| ||1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray|
| ||4 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon|
| ||2 slice(s) mixed-grain bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
| ||1/3 cup(s) chopped walnuts, coarsely chopped|
|9 oz spinach, baby leaves|
|2 large head(s) endive, Belgian, sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick (about 3 cups)|
| ||4 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese, cut into thin wedges|
|1 large apple(s), McIntosh, cut into thin wedges|
| ||6 Tbsp low-fat vinaigrette, balsamic-variety|
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook as package directs until crisp, about 4 minutes; remove bacon to a paper towel. Let bacon drain briefly then crumble into bite-size pieces; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add bread cubes to same skillet. Cook over medium heat, tossing often, until slightly golden and crisp, about 3 minutes; remove to a plate and set aside. Add walnuts to skillet; cook, tossing often until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer walnuts to bowl with bacon.
- Add spinach, endive, cheese, apple and dressing to bowl; toss to mix and coat.
- Put about 4 cups of salad mixture on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle each serving with about 3 tablespoons of homemade croutons.
- We opted for walnuts and McIntosh apples but feel free to use almonds and any type of apple you prefer. The turkey bacon lends a delicious smoky flavor to this meal but if you want to make this salad vegetarian, use meatless bacon instead (could affect POINTS values).